In Literature we started to read Sredni Vashtar by Saki( Hector Hugh Munro) and after reading it we will worked in some important facts.
Elements of Instability:Conradin coudn´t live more than five years. He is an orphan that lived with his cousin Mrs De Ropp who hated.
Rising Action: When his cousin discovered that Conradin spent a lot of time in the shed, because he prayed to a ferret.
Conflict She takes away the hen.
Falling Action: The cousin didn’t leave the shed
Resolution:Conradin saw the ferret left the shed with blood. He believed that her cousin is dead. At the end to celebrate he ate a piece of toast.
- Analyse Conradin in terms of Rite of Passage (5 elements)
- Analyse the setting. Focus on mood and atmosphere.
- Describe Conradin’s cousin.
- Discuss the role of religion
- What is the uncanny of the story?
- Mention at least five of themes. (Give reasons)
- What is the house-shed-toast a symbol of?
1) A dare: He didn´t accept the toast that his cousin offered. Accepting and regretting: He celebrated his cousin death by eating a toast and took revenge on her. The unattainable object of desire: He wanted her cousin to disappear.
2) The story took place in a house and it´s shed. The atmosphere is creepy, depressed, annoyance and at the end freedom and satisftion.
3) Conradin’s cousin treated him in a bad way. They hated and disliked each other, but they were the only family they had. She was very mean and she took away Conradin´s friend, the hen. Then she tried to take away the ferret.
4) Conradin didn’t like the religion that had her cousin, no because he didn’t believe it but because he hated her cousin, so he invented his own religion which the ferret was his god.
5) In the story the uncanny things were all that for Conradin was uncommon and unfamiliar like his cousin, the ferret as his god and the time he spent in the shed praying.
6) The themes were imagination, because Conradin imagined his world in a shed which a ferret which was his god. Religion because he adored and prayed to a ferret and hated going to church with his cousin. Another is the relationship between him and her cousin that they both disliked each other. And there is also love and affection between his imaginary world and the animals. Unreality is also present in the story.
7) House: It was like his prison because her cousin was living there and had to live under her orders.
Shed: He played there and was like his spiritual world. He played and prayed with the ferret, it was the only place he was happy.
Toast: It was for special occasions. He liked eating toast but her cousin didn’t let him. When her cousin died, instead of being sad, he celebrated by eating two toasts.
-Compare the story we read and the video. Make a brief comment about this.
Have a look at this presentation made by other students and make comment
-Do you agree with the analysis?
-Can you mention other themes?
-Can you find quotations for the themes mentioned in the presentation and those you have added?
- I think that the video showed a different mood from the story. The atmosphere is quite depressed. At the end of the video there was a a character, a man that didn´t appear in the story. There is a moment in which Conradin´s cousin or aunt cut herself with her own glasses maybe he died in that way in the shed.
- I think that the presentation is very clear and gave you a full analysis of the story. It also include the person who wrote the story and it´s opinion about the creation of the story.
- I think that revenge, freedom and hiding your feelings and unreality are other themes. Because Conradin took revenge of his cousin. He obtained his freedom of his cousin. He couldn´t express what he felt because in that time people didn´t show their feelings. And unreality because praying to an animal it is uncanny.
-The boy would not live another five years
-Whoever will break it to the poor child?
-Sredni Vashtar, the great ferret
-Do one thing for me, Sredni Vashtar